In 1932, eight courageous, God fearing souls held a prayer meeting and were lead to organize a church. These brave Christians were Bro. Frank Bedford, Bro. & Sis. Willie Pierce, Sis. Henrietta Harris, Sis Irene Lamb, Sis. Nettie Love, and Sis. Lucille Sanders. The church was organized on Hudson Road and the first Pastor was Rev. W.D. Dawson. The church didn’t have a permanent place to worship so they met from house to house.
In 1936, the church was without a Pastor, but through their prayers and faith, God sent the late Rev. E.W. Whatley. The membership was so small they couldn’t pay him a salary. Rev. Whatley agreed to work for one-half of whatever funds the church raised. The church took on new life and move from Alma St. to St. George.
In 1940, Rev. Whatley was called to the Mt. Elam Baptist Church and the Goodwill Church family went down in prayer for another leader. Rev. Gaye accepted the call and served for a short time. Later Rev. Treadwell was called and was followed by Rev. Tillar each only remained for a short term. During of the struggle the membership remained faithful and prayerful.
In 1940, the church was rebuilt at 4101 Spring Ave, in South Dallas, where the Rev. Z.R. Figures was called to serve as Pastor. Under his leadership the church continued to grow. During Rev. Figures administration, 4 young men entered the ministry and were ordained: Rev. M. Mitchum, Rev E. Calloway, Rev. W.N. Carter and Rev. F.C. Parker.
In 1953, God raised up the late, Rev. J.C. Huey as Pastor, a humble and hardworking servant. The church grew and added several laymen to the office of Minister; they were Rev. S.N. Thompson, Rev. T. Perry, Rev J. Shelton, Rev. L.J. Patterson, Rev. B Latimer and Rev. T. Reynolds. During this administration Goodwill was blessed spiritually, numerically and financially. The church building was paid off and several pieces of rental property was purchased to subsidize the church’s financial needs.
In 1983, after 30 years on Spring Ave and the need for expansion, a new worship edifice was erected at 516 N. Jim Miller Road. Once again the church took on new life and grew abundantly. On November 25, 1989, God called the late Rev. J.C. Huey from labor to reward after 36 years of faithful service.
On April 16, 1990, the Rev. A.E. Sharp was installed as Pastor of Goodwill Baptist Church, where he served until 1995; Rev G.W. Gregory served as Pastor until 1997. On December 8, 1997, the Rev. M.L. Dorsey took the helm as Pastor.
In August of 1999, the church was once again without an “Under-Sheppard”, and they entered a season of sincere and earnest prayer. The request was that God would send a Pastor that truly loved Him and the people of God. On March 19, 2000, God smiled on Goodwill in a mighty way. The church was gifted by God with Rev. D.M. Cotton to lead the way. Pastor Cotton, being a God Fearing Man, equipped with the power of prayer and full of fresh faith was installed. Pastor Cotton is currently serving and has served faithfully for the last 16 years.